Welcome to Trinkster's Technophobes

Here you will find the profound thinking of an educational technologist. This blog was the creation of a class conversation about Blogs in the "early years" of blogging.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Blended Learning




    I have been actively involved in teaching and learning since 1994. I have been a student, an instructor, a trainer, an instructional designer, and an administrator in this ever changing educational world. When thinking about blended learning... I wonder why is this so hard for someone to understand? To me, I believe that it is necessary to tailor the learning event to match the needs of the content, context and especially the people involved in the learning. Given that and today's many tools, I think blended just makes sense. Adding a variety of resources to enhance and engage learners has value. 
    Blended learning is the best of both worlds. Adding resources, access and information for the learners has the potential to enrich the students learning. Blending a classroom requires the educator to consider "Why" I am doing an activity and "how" will the students learn and "what" is the best tool or activity to achieve this?  when considering this, I am always looking at what the best tools are for the activity I want the students to participate in. The problem is the fact that it depends... 
    it depends on skill levels of the learner
    it depends on what the goal is for the lesson
    it depends on what tools are available
    it depends on so many things
    So take baby steps, take it slow when designing and implementing activities in a blended or online class. 
    SO I typically will try one new activity each term and I see how it is going. I request feedback from the students.   

    How often to meet? My teaching nature is to engage the learners as often as possible, so I prefer many interactions. When determining the time commitments for a blended or online class, I attempt to have the interactions meet or exceed the F2F class. I keep into account that the technology can change the time needed and add that in as well. 








1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am new to blogging and a classmate in the BlendKit2012 class. I am trying to post in many of the different blogs that are available. Just wanted to say hello.